Things To Do
There is so much to explore on the New South Wales South Coast! We've narrowed it down to our top ten activities, all easily acessible from your Hyams Beach holiday house:
- Visit Booderee National Park & Botanic Gardens. Co-managed by the local Indigenous community, the park is home to several stunning little beaches, an abundance of wildlife and is rich in local history and legend.
- Jervis Bay Marine Park is home to seals, dolphins, seabirds and the occasional pod of migrating whales. Besides various walking trails, scuba diving, swimming, surfing and fishing are popular activities within the park.
- The lighthouse at Point Perpendicular is no longer in operation but the view from this escarpment makes it truly worth a visit. be sure to check ahead of going, however, as the road is closed at times due to naval gunnery training exercises.
- Arguably the best place to watch the whale migration and return (May and September), the Cape St George lighthouse ruins is an important relic of early European settlement in the area.
- White Sands Walk is a great introduction to the area covering Vincentia to Hyams Beach. Anyone aged 8 to 80 can do it and it is stroller and wheelchair friendly.
- Visit Huskisson for a good old fashioned cinema experience at Huskisson Pictures, built in 1913; take the kids to the Huskisson Jetty Playground; enjoy the 18 hole Mini Golf Course at Club Husky; visit the Maritime Museum or take the Husky Ferry for a trip to Myola.
- Jervis Bay Wild offer Dolphin and Whale Eco Tours as well as the breathtaking South Coast Passage - a 2.5 hour tour of the south coast from Currarong to Huskisson. They also offer kayaks, canoes and stand up paddleboards.
- Set on 16 acres of native bushland along the Shoalhaven River, the Shoalhaven Zoo is the largest zoo on the south coast. This pretty zoo boasts an amazing old slippery dip built into the rocks and is also home to Trees Adventure - Australia's Number 1 Tree Ropes and Ziplining Experience. A 30 minute drive from Hyams Beach.
- Visit the military aerospace museum at HMAS Albatross, Nowra Hill. The museum includes 34 aircraft and helicopters in its collection and is open to the public daily except public holidays. A 30 minute drive from Hyams Beach.
- Is the weather not on your side? Visit the Bay & Basin Aquatic Centre, Vincentia. Home to a 25 metre indoor heated pool, toddler pool, spa, a 40 metre water slide, cafe, creche and classes, there's something for everyone.